PRONOUNCE THE WORD "SIP" and "SHIP"? Childcare article Ezhilarasan

HOW TO PRONOUNCE THE WORD  "SIP" and "SHIP"? Childcare article Ezhilarasan


Since, I studied in a matriculation school I used to correct the English pronunciation of my daughters now and then at home. Hence, my daughters will always be better in their English pronunciations when compared with the children of my neighbours.

This happened when my younger daughter, RAJESWARI ( name changed) was studying first standard or so. She was playing her favourite "TEACHER GAME" in my house along with a few children. A girl who was about 4 years elder than my daughter was left out. She was watching them play and was longing to be included in the game. I had been watching them for a while. Hence, I interfered and suggested that let the elderly girl be allowed to play the teacher role once.

So I asked my daughter, RAJESWARI to get down from the teacher's chair and asked the elderly girl to sit in that chair and play the teacher. She started reading out from a book. She said, "S " for sip-- and the kids started repeating them. I immediately interfered and corrected her. My child, it is not "sip" but "ship". I elaborated that "sip" is drinking a liquid like tea or coffee making a noise. But the ship sails in the sea. I asked her to pronounce it correctly again. But she again said, "S "for sip. I patiently repeated the correct pronunciation and made her pronounce it three times.

But all the three times she made an error and did not improve at all. Immediately I disqualified her to play the teacher role and asked her to get down from the teacher's chair and asked my daughter RAJESWARI to take over as the teacher. I quit the place and left the kids play themselves.
***   ***
Part 2

Reflecting after the incident later I understood that I had demonstrated to my daughters that knowledge is power. My younger daughter was then having a very lean body and wearing spectacles. As the great Tamil poet Thiruvalluvar had said in a kural, "Uruvu kandu ellamai" we should not judge a people by their looks alone. What really matters is the skill and knowledge they possess. Hence, we should strive to master a skill and then keep on improving in it day after day.

Anyway I had not taught my daughters to think low of others. I would say that whenever possible they should try to share their knowledge and resources with their friends.

In order to instill good character traits in them I used to make them think deeply by asking many questions like, "Why are you good in English?" They would answer, "You taught us, Dad."  And "Why did not your friend's dad did not do the same?"  "Because they are not good in English themselves.

Similarly, my daughters are good in computers because I had taught them computers. We had computers and I took the time to teach them. While on the contrary, the neighbour's kid was ignorant because their dad may not have had the knowledge or was too busy earning money. Hence, they should share the knowledge and resources whenever possible. Not just feet they are great. 

Charity begins at home. Giving money alone is not charity. Giving our knowledge is also charity.

Let us make the world a better place to live even for the people who are below us in many things. Let children also learn good things like this at tender age. Just praying to God and asking God to make everyone happy and rich is not enough. We should also do something.

-EZHILARASAN VENKATACHALAM   *** (Written in January 20, 2011)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Left Handed Doctor - Translation

Fish can not climb tree / Psychology in Tamil EZHILARASAN CHILDCARE 0809 DUPLICATE

Childcare MENU 0514 EZHILARASAN VENKATACHALAM SALEM