Daughter buying rubber toys in Exhibition // Ezhilarasan childcare article 2018

My Childcare 2018 article
Daughter buying rubber toys in Exhibition
Tamil Translation // 
தமிழ் மொழிபெயர்ப்பு
NOW SALEM IS AGOG WITH BUSTLING ACTIVITY FOLLOWING THE ARRIVAL OF THE TAMIL MONTH "AADI".

NOSTALGIA!

This takes me back to 2004 ...

Let me narrate an incident that happened around 2004, when my younger daughter, Trisha (name changed) was about 8 or 9 years old.

As a family along with my two daughters, we went to the Government Exhibition in the Salem Boose Maidan. At our home itself I took enough cash to spend for eating, purchase etc. And gave  also gave a one hundred rupee note, both to my younger and elder daughter. Then I said to both,  "You can either spend everything at the exhibition or save a part of it and put it in your hundial."

Logically speaking, I should have given at least Rs.150 for my elder daughter who was 4 years elder than the other. However, since my younger one may not understand it and may think it as impartial, I gave only Rs.100 to each of them.

It was a big money for a 9 year old girl. She asked me in amazement, "Dad, do you really mean, I can buy anything I want at the fair with this money?" I told, "Yes, but I will not give you anything extra. So better plan and buy things accordingly".

We went inside the exhibition and went on strolling leisurely, watching the products in  all the shops and all different types of people you had come from nearby villages and towns. There was fine dust floating in the air because of everybody walking in the dusty ground. It was a bit suffocating me. There were big stalls and also pet shops like those we see on the pavements in roads and streets.

It was at that time the attractive and colour mini toys that were designed  from rubber were introduced in the market. It can be used by the school going kids as a pencil eraser too. My younger daughter, Trisha approach a vendor sitting on the floor and selling such mini rubber toys. She enthusiastically took a piece and enquired the price. The vendor told something. Immediately on hearing the price, she dropped it, as if it was a burning piece of coal.

Then we kept on moving slowly. And again there was another vendor selling the same toys. Once again she approached him and enquired the price. Again she dropped it because she thought it was very high.  All along I was watching this quietly. I understood she had difficulty to decide. She was finding it difficult to part with a few rupees. Yet she could not avoid being attracted by the cute rubber toys.

So, I interfered and said, "Hey, dont worry too much. Though I told at home I will not give you any money more than the one hundred rupees. Now I feel like relaxing it a bit. If required, I will give you some more money to buy things, if you have spend it completely. So go ahead and buy the toy, if you really like it". I think she felt relieved and so she bought it after my reassurance.

I hope this one hundred rupees would have taught her little economics. About how to manage excess funds or funds shortage in real life.

Ezhilarasan Venkatachalam
English Trainer for Tamil Speaking People
Salem, South India.

For more Childcare related articles
Please Visit
...
http://e3childcare.blogspot.in

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Left Handed Doctor - Translation

Fish can not climb tree / Psychology in Tamil EZHILARASAN CHILDCARE 0809 DUPLICATE

Childcare MENU 0514 EZHILARASAN VENKATACHALAM SALEM